Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Speculation about Larry

The media is abuzz with stories that Larry Summers is unhappy and may be leaving the Obama administration: click here, here, here, and here.

I have no idea if any of this speculation is true.  (The only way I would know is if Larry said something to me about it, and then I wouldn't be talking about it on my blog.  But he hasn't, so I can.)  What I do know is that it would be unfortunate for the country if Larry left.  I am obviously not privy to internal discussions at the White House, but I bet that, more often than not, Larry is pushing policy in a more moderate and more sensible direction.

On the other hand, a loss for the nation could be a gain for ec 10 students.  Before he left for the White House, Larry was a regular and popular guest lecturer.  We would be delighted to have him back.